Immigration programs

Work in Canada

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Obtaining Temporary Foreign Worker status can be a complicated process. In most cases, a work permit is required to work in Canada and a valid job offer is a pre-requisite. Additionally, a LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) from the employer is required for most foreign job offers, but not all.

The spouse or partner of a foreign worker can apply for a work permit without the need for a job offer or LMIA.

Getting a Temporary Work Permit


LMIA Required

A LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) is required for most temporary Work Permits. The employer who is hiring the foreign worker is required to have a positive LMIA in order to recruit anyone from outside Canada. In order to get an approval for the LMIA, the employer must provide evidence that they have attempted to find qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents to fill the position. Employers may also be inspected for compliance to government regulations after the employee has begun working in Canada.

Employers can contact us for assistance in obtaining a positive LMIA.

LMIA Not Required

In some cases, a work permit is required but a LMIA is not:

Post Graduation Work Permit: students who have recently graduated from a Canadian college or university can obtain a Post Graduation Work Permit which allows them to work for any employer without the need for a LMIA.

Spouses/partners of skilled workers or full-time students.

Workers nominated by a Province for Permanent Residence.

Coop students.

People in exchange programs.

Refugee claimants.

Entrepreneurs and workers transferred within a company.

Religious workers.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA): work permits under NAFTA do not generally need a LMIA. The following categories of temporary work are covered under NAFTA – Professionals (based on a specific list); Intra-Company Transfers; Traders and Investors.

Global Skills Strategy streams.

International Experience Canada (IEC): for young foreigners from selected countries, for a period of 12 – 24 months under the Working Holiday stream. Also includes Young Professionals and International Co-op Internships (with job offers).

Work Permit not required


A list of persons who do not need a work permit to work temporarily in Canada includes, among others:

  •  news reporters
  •  public speakers
  •  NAFTA business visitors
  •  artists, athletes and coaches
  •  crew members
  •  foreign government officers


For Employers


Applying for a LMIA can be a time-consuming and frustrating exercise, particularly if your business doesn’t have an in-house Human Resources department. For help obtaining a positive LMIA, please contact us.


How Can I become a Canadian Permanent Resident

After a year of skilled work experience in Canada, workers may be eligible for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class or the Federal Skilled Worker program. 

Most Canadian Provinces and Territories also have special programs for workers and foreign graduates under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Quebec has it’s own Quebec Experience Class (PEQ) that allows those with Quebec study and/or work experience to immigrate to Quebec.


Initial Consultation

How do i book a consultation

Please email (preferred), WhatsApp message, or call (leave detailed message) with a summary of your scenario. If we are able to assist you, we will follow up with the booking details.

Once you have a time selected, you will be asked to sign the terms and conditions, and pay for the consultation. If you are booking an in-person consultation you have the option of an e-transfer, sent ahead of the appointment. No cash or debit cards are accepted. ALL appointments must be fully paid for prior to the consultation time being reserved. Until payment is received your spot could be lost.

You will receive a confirmation email, and a link to an online meeting if your consultation is online.

If you are not able to find a convenient time for your in-person or online consultation, please contact us and we will do our best to accomodate you.


What to Expect

The consultation is designed to assess your eligibility for immigration streams to Canada. The Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant will advise you on possible pathways, give you ideas for increasing your score or other requirements, and assist you with creating a plan. You will not be encouraged to spend money or time on something which has a high failure rate or that you simply don’t qualify for. We pride ourselves in being 100% transparent at all times.

what techology do i need for online consultations

We use Zoom video conferencing for our consultations. This has proven to be the best experience for clients as the sound and picture quality are generally excellent. It is highly recommended that you use a good headset or microphone attached to your computer or device.

We recommend that you download the free software in advance of the meeting. Then simply click on the link in your confirmation email and join the meeting at the time of the consultation.

If the Zoom platform doesn’t work for you, or you prefer another means of communication, we are happy to work with your choice. Please let us know ahead of time.

The one-on-one initial consultation is with our immigration counsel and Director, Dianne Olsen. This meeting can be done in-person or online and involves a discussion of your personal circumstances in relation to immigrating to Canada. You will receive a breakdown of your options as well as an informed understanding of the process. We firmly believe in being completely up-front about the chances of success for any immigration plan. The consultation process is designed to provide you with a “push in the right direction” and you will never feel pressured to retain us for anything further.

If you do choose to retain us for Full Package services within 5 business days of the consultation, we will provide you with a credit for the same amount paid (C$150) and apply it to the balance of your total retainer fees.

To book a consultation, please email (preferred) or call 1-778-800-9963 and provide us with a detailed description of your situation. We will then provide you with our booking link to arrange a time convenient for you.

I can highly recommend Olsen Canadian Immigration – Dianne provided a succinct and honest assessment which enabled me to make decisions without wasting time and expense exploring avenues that wouldnt have a high chance of success. Thank you!

—Dave Aitken, South Africa